Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 10 - Pantry Challenge - Rustic Tart II

Can you tell what my new passion is? That's right, it's baking. Over the past week I have made 3 banana breads and 2 pie tarts and I'm loving it. Here is a picture of a strawberry tart I made the other day. All I did was replace the two cups of peaches for two cups of strawberries and it turned out really nice. Top it with whipped cream and it tastes likes strawberries and cream.
Mom invited us to come over for dinner on Sunday, so I think I'll bake something. Maybe I'll make another tart.

So far, so good on the pantry challenge. Here is a list of the grocery items I bought this week:

Corn on the cob 1.00
5 lb bag of baking potatoes 1.99
2 lbs of butter 3.58
Sour cream 1.29
Ice cream 2.50
Avocado 2.00
Watermelon 4.88
Kraft Real Mayo 3.22
Mustard 1.59
Cherries 3.59
Assorted Peppers 3.99
Parmesan Cheese 3.75
Total 33.38

In total over the past two weeks, I've spent about $100 to cover food costs and supplement the meats with fresh veggies for our meals. I have tons of stuff left in my pantry and I barely put a dent in it. I think I managed to use a few cans of black beans, corn, garbanzo beans, roasted red peppers, a box of spaghetti, a box of pasta shells, 2 containers of roasted red pepper soup, lots of flour, sugar and oatmeal. I still haven't used the black bean sauce I bought a while ago, but I plan to use it soon. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment