Monday, July 20, 2009

Grilled Pork, Cilantro Rice, Yellow and Green Beans








This was our dinner tonight. It's been a busy day, it's 11:30 and I'm just getting to blog so I'm going to make this short. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!! This dinner was absolutely perfect and it's one of my favorite combinations for a meal, grilled something, rice of some sort and a fresh veggie. I noticed today that we have two squash in our garden, so I'll be highlighting a squash recipe in one my upcoming blogs. When I was in my early twenties, a friend of mine made a wonderful squash casserole with tomatoes and butter and squashed squash. I'm going to look for the recipe, but if anyone out there has an idea for a squash recipe, please let me know.

The past week or so I've been talking to people about different careers in cooking. I met with an executive chef last week and he highly recommended that I didn't go into a franchised business because a lot of the work in the kitchen is just prep work. As an example he said one of his line cooks sliced 800 slices of cheese and then another prepared 600 mexican eggrolls. It's almost like being on an assembly line. I thanked him for his honesty and in the end he thought going into a catering business or opening up my own restaurant would be the best way to go. That is something I have been thinking of for a while.

I'm just in the research stage right now, but I'm hoping to accomplish this soon. Every time I watch Diners, Drive Ins and Dives I get a craving to own my own place. Since my brother and husband love to cook, I think a family owned restaurant is a great idea. I asked Maddie the other day if she would want to work there and she didn't seem too enthusiastic, but I have a feeling once we opened, she would change her mind. If we can get my mom to be the hostess, we'd have a very successful place. Oh to dream.....


No comments:

Post a Comment