Thursday, July 2, 2009

All American Meal







I really do believe that there is nothing like a homecooked meal. I prefer eating at home over going out. It makes complete sense, really. There are so many advantages. Why go out when you can eat at home for much cheaper, you know exactly everything that goes into it because you made it and you don't have to deal with crowds.

You can tell my brother is home because we fired up the grill to make steaks. OMG, they were perfect. Yesterday I put them in ziploc bags and smothered them with montreal steak seasoning and olive oil. They sat in the fridge for two days before Richy seared them off to a perfect medium on the grill. We started out the meal with a homemade corn chowder topped with roasted red pepper, cheese and bacon. My mom brought an american garden salad and I served the steaks with the Israeli couscous with roasted tomatoes and olives that I made yesterday. We finished the meal with a small slice of cheesecake and 4th of July cupcakes.

I'm learning you can make your own sauces at home rather than waste a few bucks on premade bottled sauces. My recipe for homemade steak sauce is as follows:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup ketchup
1 small clove garlic
1/8 cup water
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until it reaches a good consistency, stirring occasionally. Cool. Strain to remove onion and garlic. Store in refrigerator. When cooked this sauce is brown and tastes almost like A-1 sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment