Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mom's Mac and Cheese




We went to my mom's for a 4th of July dinner and she made her homemade mac and cheese with her cornflake chicken. The way she makes her mac and cheese is simple and the results are better than any Top Chef could make. I remember watching Bobby Flay (who we just met recently) and he was competing with an old southern black woman to see who made the best mac and cheese. Guess who won? The southern woman of course. Bobby Flay overdid his recipe by adding way too many different cheeses and her recipe was like my moms, just pasta, cheese and cheese sauce. My thoughts are you don't tamper with a classic. You can kick it up a notch, but don't overdo it. She does that by using bow ties instead of macaroni.

Her cornflake chicken was delicious too. She dipped the chicken in egg and then coated it in seasoned cornflake crumbs and then baked it in the oven. She baked it just enough to brown the outside and kept it moist and tender in the inside. I topped off the meal with my famous "out the jar apple sauce" sprinkled with cinnamon and 4th of July cupcakes. Can you say lazy???? Hey, why mess with a master? Anything I would make wouldn't compare to my mom's chicken and mac and cheese. Ti Amo, Madre!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment