Monday, July 13, 2009

Recipe for Tortilla Soup








Have you noticed a theme in our eating lately? Gazpacho, Shrimp Cheviche, Taco Seasoning, Tortilla Soup, Fajitas, Corn on the Cob with Lime and Cilantro..... Lately I been having cravings for Mexican so I've been looking up recipes for homecooked Mexican meals. I always feel overloaded when I go to a Mexican restaurant because everything is swimming in grease or full of cheese and overloaded with garlic and onions. We all agree that eating at home is much better than going to a restaurant. And lately with the way Richy and I have been cooking the only restaurant we really like is Don Corleone's, because no one makes pizza better than Don.

Last night we had Mom over for dinner since Dad was supposed to be in the hospital. He ended up coming home yesterday but he was supposed to come home today. Today is his 75th birthday. Happy Birthday Poppa! Richy made Fajitas on the grill and I made Tortilla Soup. I saw this soup being made at Costco when they were promoting the BlendTec Blender. We ended up getting the HealthMaster and we love it. We make smoothies every day and yesterday I wanted to try the soup recipe. The soup was fantastic and low in fat.

Here is the recipe:

Tortilla Soup
Serves 6

Phase One
1 container of Tomato Red Pepper Soup (I get a six pack from Costco)
1 or 2 jalapenos
1/2 cup of frozen chopped onion
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
1 t salt

Blend in the blender for 8 minutes or until steaming hot.

Phase Two

1/2 cup of corn (I used roasted corn by Trader Joe's)
1/2 can of black beans
10 tortilla chips
Add to blender and give it a quick blend.
Phase Three
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 can of black beans

Pour soup mix in a pot and add the the corn and black beans. Heat to serve. Top with sour cream, tortilla and a jalapeno pepper slice.

This soup is low and fat and is sure to be a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment