Monday, July 6, 2009

Something Fishy

Steven and I absolutely love fish. Steven makes a wonderful cedar planked Salmon on the grill. My daughter Madeleine is acquiring a taste for fresh fish and she is being exposed slowly but surely. A couple of weeks ago we had Father's Day at our house and we had a big crab feast. It was her first time trying them and she loved them. Whenever I need a sushi buddy and Steven isn't up for it, me and Maddie go out and have sushi. For Mother's Day this past year she took me out to lunch for sushi. I love our lunches out, it's like hanging out with one of my friends.

As a family we are trying to eat healthier and fish for dinner is an excellent choice. I read recently that flash frozen fish is better than fresh fish at the seafood counter, because the fish that sits in the case has time to accumulate bacteria. Yuck. I bought a pack of frozen tilapia the other day from Wegmans and decided to make it tonight for dinner. I seasoned it with lemon pepper seasoning and lightly browned it in olive oil. It came out perfect. The flavor was mild and tangy all at the same time. I put the cooked tilapia on top of slow cooked lentils and served it with a side of green beans.

After dinner, we made our own ice cream in our healthmaster blender. We took a cup of 2% milk, added 4T of honey and a lb of mixed frozen fruit. It took us barely 5 minutes and the consensus was that it was better than real ice cream. It wasn't as sweet and it tasted natural. More pictures to follow on this one.

Tomorrow night I have a guest blogger making dinner. My brother is making his faboo chicken. He'll be highlighting brining and cooking chicken in a dutch oven. In the future my daughters and my husband will also be guest bloggers. Cooking is a family affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment