Sunday, September 13, 2009

Las Vegas Roll


Prior to Steven finding out that is sugar levels were high, we splurged on dinner one night at Aoba in Sterling. This used to be my favorite sushi restaurant before I discovered Akira. I mentioned to him that at the end of the week, on Friday night, I would order the Salmon dinner and have it delivered. I couldn't wait for Friday night and sitting there with a bottle of wine and eating dinner made all the stresses of the week melt away. I do believe I was hinting that I wanted to go out for sushi and being the wonderful husband he is, took the hint and made it a reality.

The restaurant is really good, but I wouldn't say as good as Akira. Their salmon is buttery and rich and has a good amount of marbling that it melts in your mouth. I usually order the Salmon dinner which is 5 pieces of salmon sashimi, 5 pieces of salmon nigiri and an alaskan roll. I like the alaskan roll, but it is isn't good as the one I get at Konami in Tysons Corner which as tempura flakes in it. It's slightly crunchy and spicy with a nice balance of salmon. Can you tell I like salmon????

The service that night was really poor and we had to ask several times where our appetizer was. Steven's food arrived before mine and my dinner was nowhere in sight. Finally the Las Vegas Roll arrived and Steven and I lit up like a Christmas tree. It was the prettiest roll I have ever seen in my life. As you can see from the picture it was topped with four different colors of roe, black, yellow, red and green. The flavors were perfectly balanced and it was well worth the wait.
We are hoping the slow service was an exception to the rule, because we want to go back and try some of the other rolls. We'll just meditate on being patient before we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment