Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Adventures in Low Carb Cooking

Stepping out of the conventional way of cooking with carb laden meals does not look like it's going to be hard at all. I am devoting some time to doing research so that I can incorporate a low carb cooking approach for the health of my husband. Yesterday, we experimented and cut out sugar and tried a low carb diet. His sugar levels have been close to 300 lately and yesterday his sugar level was 157.

I am assuming eating out will be the hardest because our mentality is to have a starch at every meal. We took the girls out to Sweetwater for dinner and instead of eating a hamburger last night with the bun, he had a filet with steamed veggies and a salad. I had a chicken sandwich without the bread and a side of steamed veggies. We both commented later that we felt much better by eating that way.

My husband LOVES pizza and so do my children, so I went online to see if I could find a low carb way of making pizza. I found this recipe on a website for low carb cooking. It looks fantastic. The recipe is below.

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
**pizza or alfredo sauce
toppings (make sure meats are cooked)mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe). Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted.





No comments:

Post a Comment