Friday, August 7, 2009

Recipe for Eggs in Purgatory

I love peppers. I love every color and the hotter the better. I love to put peppers on everything and love a side of grilled jalapenos next to my scrambled eggs in the morning. I even love them topped on a hot dog. My Aunt makes the best stuffed peppers in the world. She takes hot banana peppers and fills them with hot italian sausage and then simmers them in marinara sauce. She usually sends me a big bag of them frozen and they last me the whole year. I will take out a few at a time and simmer them in sauce. When they are done I take the peppers out and crack eggs on top of the sauce and poach them until done. This is my version of Eggs in Purgatory which is basically eggs simmered in tomato sauce. You can use the recipe below or just use your favorite spaghetti sauce from a jar. Either way, it is delicious.

Eggs in Purgatory
Serves 2 or 3

1 small onion, cut in half, then finely sliced or chopped
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
pinch hot red pepper flakes, or more to taste
2 cups tomato puree, canned crushed tomatoes, or chopped drained canned tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
salt to taste
4-6 eggs
grated cheese

1. In a 9- or 10-inch skillet, combine the onion, the olive oil and the hot pepper and cook over medium heat until the onion is lightly golden, about 6 minutes.

2. Add the tomato puree, dried oregano, and a big pinch of salt to start. Simmer for 5 or 6 minutes, until the sauce has concentrated a little. You can set the pan aside now (at room temperature or in the refrigerator) if you are not cooking the eggs until later.

3. Before cooking the eggs, bring the sauce back to a simmer, taste and add more salt if necessary, then break the eggs into the bubbling sauce. Cover and cook until the eggs are done to taste, meaning with fully set whites and runny yolks, or until the yolks are set further or completely.

4. Serve with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, pecorino, or ricotta salata.

No comments:

Post a Comment