Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mamma Mia



This is a picture of my mother making a wonderful dinner for me and my family. She is the most beautiful woman I know. She's giving, caring and loves to cook for people. We all benefit from her gift of cooking because it's comforting and good for our souls. I feel very fortunate that I have my mother and appreciate all of the love she puts into each of her meals. Going to my mom's for dinner is high on my list of things that I love to do. Every time I go I come away feeling loved and spoiled. Everyone needs to have a mom like my mom.

She made the most tender pork tenderloin I think I have ever had. The meat was so tender when you picked up a piece it fell apart on your fork. She told me she browned it and seasoned it and then added cream of mushroom soup, worcestershire sauce and a touch of wine and put it in the oven to slow roast at 275 degrees. It was fabulous!!! She served it with buttery mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, corn on the cob and a caesar salad. She wanted to cut up a watermelon but we were all too stuffed to eat it. Thanks Mom, we love you!!

By the way for those of you who are not familiar with the history of worchestershire sauce it was in 1835, that Lord Sandys, a nobleman from the county of Worcestershire, England, commissioned a pair of chemists - John Lea and William Perrins - to duplicate a sauce he had acquired during his travels in India. Their finished product, however, proved to be anything but pleasing. Disappointed, they banished their brew to the cellar. There, the sauce lay forgotten until the pair stumbled upon it two years later. Before they discarded their concoction for good, they took one last taste. Much to their surprise, it had matured like a fine wine - exhibiting a savory aromatic scent and a wonderfully unique taste. Lea & Perrins Original Worcestershire Sauce was born. It wasn't long before Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce made its way onto dining cars and passenger ships, and into hotel dining rooms and restaurants.

According to the Lee & Perrins website, genuine Worcestershire Sauce must contain the following ingredients:

vinegar
molasses
sugar
soy
anchovies
tamarind
shallots
garlic
red onion
salt

The key to making a good sauce is to age it before eating. I'd rather just buy some Lea & Perrins and not mess with a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment