Sunday, December 6, 2009

Stumbling Sunday - The Apple Does Not Fall Far From the Tree

I bet you thought my post today would be about an apple recipe. Not so much, it's about my cousin Dana and how much she is like her mother, who was my Aunt Bonnie. My Aunt passed on way before her time. She was so full of love and one of the most giving women I have her met. She loved to cook and we knew when we went to visit her that we would be showered with meals that you couldn't find in the finest 5 star restaurants. I prefer a home cooked meal over eating out any day. In our family, food demonstrates love, so the more we cook, the more we love you. The only problem with this is the more we are loved, the more of us there is to love! It is a vicious cycle, but I'd rather be fat and happy, than sad and skinny.

Yesterday, my cousin posted on her facebook page that she and her adorable daughter, Becca would be baking some cookies. By the end of the day, she had baked over 10 different kinds of cookies. Throughout the day, there were sentiments on how she found a recipe her mom had hand written and there were tears as she was making them. Isee so much of my Aunt in her. I wonder how many of us have those fond memories as we are taking out our cookie recipes? I am reminded that some of the simplest things in our lives bring back memories of our dear loved ones who have passed on. Even if it is just for a moment, it's priceless.

Even though she baked several batches I am only highlighting one of her recipes. I'm exahausted just thinking of her churning out so many cookies in one day. You go Dana, you are a superstar!

Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints

1/2 cup butter softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg separated
2 tbls milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Filling
12 to 14 carmamels
3 tbls heavy whipping cream
1/2 semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening

In large mixing bowl cream butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla,Combined the flour cocoa and salt add to the cream mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle. Roll into 1 inch balls. Beat in egg whites. Dip balls into egg white and then coat with nuts. Bake at 3do for 10-12 minutes.

Filling in a saucepan melt carmels with cream over low heat. Stir until smooth. Using caramel mixture fill each cookie. In a microwave melt chocolate chips and shortning and drizzle over cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment