Monday, October 26, 2009

Recipe for Sauerbraten

My mother is 100% Italian and my father is 75% German. Growing up, because my mother was and still is the chef of the family, we ate a lot of Italian food. When we ate German it was usually when we went to visit my Grandmother in Pittsburgh. My father has been asking my mom to make sauerbraten for years and somehow she's managed to put this off, so I decided in honor of October, I would give it a shot. On Sunday, I invited the family over for a German dinner and we had a fabulous time.

I made some appetizers before dinner and I made some special chicken wings for my brother in law, Eric, who loves chicken wings. Eric has been in our family for 29 years. I was 18 when I met him. It's crazy that he has stuck with us for all these years, but we wouldn't trade him in for anything. He's a big part of our family and we love him.

For dinner we had sauerbraten, spaetzle, red cabbage and applesauce. Sauerbraten was originally made with horse meat but today it is usually made with beef. Several sources believe sauerbraten was invented in the ninth century AD as a means of tenderizing tough meats by marinating them in a mixture of vinegar and spices. I wouldn't say it's my favorite meal, but it was fun to make and share the experience with my family. Dad didn't make it this time around because he's in the hospital. I guess I'll have to make it again.

Recipe for Sauerbraten


SAUERBRATEN

3 1/4 lbs. bottom round roast
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
4 whole cloves
8 peppercorns
2 bay leaves
2 med. onions (sliced)
1 med. carrot (sliced)
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 c. red wine vinegar
4 c. cold water
3 t. veg. oil
1/4 c. plain flour
1 t. granulated sugar
10 gingersnaps

3 to 4 days before serving:

Place roast in shallow enamel or glass dish. Combine salt, pepper, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, sliced onions, sliced carrots, chopped celery, vinegar and water. Pour over meat, cover and refrigerate.

About 3 1/2 hours before serving:

1. Remove roast from marinade, dry with paper towels, saving marinade.
2. Heat oil and brown meat on both sides.
3. To drippings add flour and sugar, brown lightly, scraping bottom of pan well; stir in marinade, bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add steak and simmer, covered, for 3 hours or until fork tender.
4. Remove roast to cutting board then carefully remove surface fat from gravy. Stir in crushed gingersnaps to make gravy cook and stir until smooth.
5. Meanwhile cut meat into 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange onto serving dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment